NPO Organisational Development
NICDAM’s HWSETA registered Management Capacity Building and Mentorship Programme for Non-profit Organisations has been designed to strengthen the institutional capacity of organisational management and to enable managers to improve management systems. This leads to CBOs offering quality services in communities and improved service delivery.
Training of managers is essential as it allows them to develop competencies from the knowledge they gain and the skills, which are transferred. NICDAM developed a comprehensive training package for NPO managers on behalf of the Department of Social Development, which is a registered HWSETA skills programme. Organisations, through this training, are able to comply with NPO directorate policies and to sustain, mobilise, and properly manage all their resources.
NICDAM also offers community-based training to build competencies in practical areas such as information technology, human resources, and office administration.
PROJECTS RELATING TO NPO ORGANISATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- NICDAM was appointed by DFID and the National Department of Social Development (NDSD) to pilot the HCBC (Home Community Based Care) Management Capacity Building and Mentoring Programme as part of the HIV&AIDS Multi-Sectoral Programme in the Limpopo, Eastern Cape and Northern Cape Provinces. This programme involved 65 organisations over a period of 24 months. The organisational management were trained in Governance, Project Management, Human Resource Management, Leadership and Financial Management and Bookkeeping. (2006 – 2009)
- A follow up contract was awarded to NICDAM by the NDSD to standardise and accredited the management training of HCBC organisations. In total 10 modules were developed, containing 20 unit standards with 79 credits:
- Module 1: Personal Development for Managers
- Module 2: NPO Governance
- Module 3: Managing Projects
- Module 4: Sustainable Organisations
- Module 5: Basic Bookkeeping and Financial Management
- Module 6: Human Resource Management
- Module 7: Computer Skills for Managers
- Module 8: Information management, monitoring and evaluation
- Module 9: Networking and External Relations
- Module 10: Communication for Managers
NICDAM piloted the accredited learning material amongst community based HCBC Organisations operating in the Gauteng area. (2010-2011)
- NICDAM spearheaded a project funded by PACT / USAID to plan the national roll out of the NDSDs Capacity Building and Mentoring of HCBC Organisations that involved the registration of the above set of manuals as a skills programme with the HWSETA. This was successfully undertaken together with the costing of the roll out in 8 provinces. Training service providers have further been master trained in the skills programme in 8 provinces, including Gauteng Province. Workshops with district officials were held to orientate them to the programme and introduce the learning material. (2012)
- NICDAM was requested to train all or parts of the above NPO Management training skills programme several times:
- HIVSA: 70 NPO managers from Sedibeng District in Gauteng were trained in all 10 modules from August 2013 to July 2014. Master trainers of the organisation were also trained by dividing the group into two groups with the master trainers co-facilitating during the 1st group and the NICDAM facilitators co-facilitating during the 2nd
- Starfish: NICDAM completed training in the HCBC/NPO Management Skills Programme which was started by another training service provider. It entailed the presentation of Module 1: Personal Development for Managers. The learners were also assessed for RPL, since the original TSP did not undertake any assessments. This was supported by a refresher training course prior to the RPL assessment process. 45 learners achieved credits for the skills programme.
- NDA: NICDAM was contracted to build capacity in the skills programme to 180 facilitators of training service providers, DSD and NDA officials in 9 provinces from August 2014 to January 2015. The following five modules of the above mentioned HCBC/NPO Management Skills Programme were selected to be presented: NPO governance; Project Management; Resource Mobilisation and Sustainable Organisations; Financial Management; and Basic Bookkeeping and Communication Skills for Participants were assessed on the Unit Standard 13912: “Apply knowledge of self and team in order to develop a plan to enhance team performance”.
- US Embassy: Ten NPO managers from Karabo Asara and Itireleng HCBC in Hammanskraal were trained on the following unaccredited sections of the course, i.e. Office Administration, Basic Bookkeeping and Financial Management. In addition, the managers received training on Project Management which is aligned to Unit Standard 13912: Apply knowledge of self and team in order to develop a plan to enhance team performance. All of the managers received credits for the unit standard and an attendance certificate for the training.
The management of Fatlhologang Youth Forum (3) received in service training on the 9 focal areas of the HCBC/NPO Management training in 2012.
- Henneman VEP Forum: Training of 10 managers on Human Resource Management for a period of one week. The training covered the following Unit Standards:
- US 11473: Manage individual and team performance
- US 117877: Perform one to one training on the job
- US 113907: Explain the impact of personal wellness on work performance
- Seven managers obtained credits.
- DSD, Eastern Cape contracted NICDAM for the training or 16 NPO management and board members on Office Management, Basic Bookkeeping and Financial Management (non-accredited training) in 2014.
- DSD North West appointed NICDAM to train 30 social auxiliary workers on the following modules of the HCBC/NPO Capacity Building Programme: NPO Governance and Basic bookkeeping. Both the courses were conducted in November 2013.
- The NDOH (NGO Directorate) contract in 2014 included the organisational development and mentoring of the National Association for People Living with HIV and AIDS (NAPWA) for a period of 12 months. The mentorship programme focused on the following:
- Improved governance and programme performance
- Compliance with reporting requirements
- Safe keeping and orderly filing of supporting documents for expenditure incurred
- Adherence to sound accounting standards
- Regular submission of Audited Financial Statements
- The National Department of Health (NGO Directorate) granted funding to NICDAM for the implementation of the Governance and Leadership Programme in 4 provinces, including Gauteng, in 2007/8, 2008/9 and 2009/10. This programme entailed capacity building, organisational development and the disbursement of seed funding. Training was provided to the management of more than 40 community based organisations over the three year period.
- NICDAM was jointly appointed by European Union, National Youth Service and Limpopo Department of Health and Social Development to project manage the Community Care Worker Youth Service Project Limpopo Province as the lead service provider and to support selected sites (NGOs/CBO and clinics) to undertake the facilitation of the skills programme at NQF level 3, setting up a learner information system and to mentor and support the sites to implement community care programmes. This project included the management of 20 NGO’s and 200 selected participants with team leaders and site coordinators. The objective of this project is to build the capacity of NGO’s and the care workers both on an organisational level as well as the skills development of the care workers.
- NICDAM was appointed by the Gauteng Department of Education to train 230 school leaders on issues of leadership, conflict resolution and wider life skills.
- The Department of Social Development (Northern Cape Province) appointed NICDAM to present capacity building workshops to NGOs working in the Victim Empowerment field in the Francis Baard district, Siyanda, Pixley and Namaqa districts in the Northern Cape Province.
- NICDAM was funded to provide capacity building training and mentoring for 61 NPOs delivering HIV & AIDS services in the City of Tshwane.
- Bristol-Myers–Squibb Secure the Future Foundation: NGO Institute Pilot Programme. NICDAM was appointed to develop the capacity building and mentoring programmes for the North-West and Northern Cape provinces. The aim of the project was to build management, governance and leadership capacity in promotion of the sustainability of rural organisations. The programme was presented to 40 organisations and covered project management, legislation affecting NPOs, management of boards, governance, organisational and human resource management, financial and administrative management, leadership, strategic management, fundraising, resource mobilisation, public relations, communication, corporate identity, branding, income generation and the management of volunteer programmes.
- The Department of Social Development Western Cape appointed NICDAM to implement a capacity building programme supported by a mentoring programme for 14 community-based HIV/AIDS organisations. The management of these organisations were trained in governance, NPO legislation, leadership, project management and financial management and basic bookkeeping.
PROJECTS RELATED TO BUILDING COMPETENCY IN PRACTICAL AREAS
NICDAM was appointed by the Department of Environmental affairs to present Computer training in Limpopo. The training was presented over a 10 day period and took place at 4 different sites from 31 March 2014 to 15 August 2014. 70 Learners attended and successfully completed the training sessions. The training consisted of 6 modules aligned to appropriate unit standards:
- Ms Word: US 114978
- Ms Excel: US114977
- Ms Outlook: US114984
- Ms PowerPoint: US114980
- Web Browser: US114975
- Workstation: US114979